Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Taste of The Rich & Wealthy


I just came back from Sydney after 3 days full of meetings after meetings. This trip was in deed an eye opener to the world of the rich and weathy.

Since I stayed at the lovely Grace Hotel (which I found out is owned by the Low Yat Group in KL) located in the heart of the CBD and very close to Pitt St Mall (shopping district), I decided that in my spare time, I would go do some 'window shopping'. I visited all the shops in Pitt St, QVB and most of all the exquisite brand new Westfield that has just opened early this year where our first ever Zara Australia will be scheduled to open next week! Damn I just missed it!

I couldn't help but noticed just how busy all the shops were! There weren't much sales on and yet every shop was jammed packed and filled with shoppers who all made a purchase. Walking in Westfield was nothing but an envious session for me. All the great brands were there: Gucci, Prada, DKNY, Hugo Boss, Sass & Bide, GAP, Longchamp & my most favourite Christian Louboutin!
Of course I didn't buy anything although I was close to being influenced by all the shoppers' buzz. It was my first time shopping sans the kids since last Nov! I felt like I just had to buy something cos I was super excited by the freedom and most importantly the choices! But, thank God I didn't otherwise I would've suffered severe post purchase dissonance.

Anyway, then I walked into David Jones fresh food section and boy I was amazed by some of the prices in there. A punnet of raspberries costed $8, Mangoes at $10 each and yet the 'rich' ppl dressed oh so eloquently were just filling up their baskets doing their 'normal' weekly grocery shopping.

Then today, after meeting all the wonderful buying team at David Jones, I realised they too all dressed super classy to match their retailer's brand equity. All of them had prestigious bags/watches, one had a huge diamond ring (I think it was a 2ct diamond). They all wore fine designer clothes and one even had a pair of Christian Louboutons too (*drools). If you talk to them, you will also know that they frequently dine at the top restaurants, drive prestigious cars and live in a world that was above the clouds. I couldn't help but wonder.. man do they really earn that much work in DJ's? or are they just throwing every penny that they've earned into 'self' indulgence' things?

Nonetheless, I am quite enjoying the world of SK-II. 'We live in a beautiful bubble' so my boss tells me everyday. Not only do I get to to use the world's most awarded skin care range, but I also get to sample some of the top Japanese restaraunts in Australia including Kobe Jones & Tokonoma just to name a few. Moreover, next month, I will be going to the exclusive In Style Magazine's Women of Style Awards of which SK-II is a proud sponsor. All of the Australian celebrities will be there so fingers crossed I will have enough courage to speak to Collette Dinnigan, Jana Wendt, Kirsty Hinze, Karin Adcock (founder of Pandora), Danni Minogue, Poppy King & Lisa Ho just to name a few! As you can see, I'm quite loving my job at the moment..

So now.. it's back to the daunting task of finding that 'expensive' dress so that when the photographers snap us away on the red carpet and asks me what are you wearing? I will not answer back to them 'um... Review?'