Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Reflection on 2008

With a blink of an eye, another year has gone.

I would describe the year 2008 in one word - amazement.

For the first 9 months of 2008, God showed me His awesome power through the creation & formation of our little one. Every single month, I was reminded of how much our little one has developed through the view of the ultrasound. Every single week, I was reminded of every intricate details of his growth through the email updates from babycentre dot com. Every single day, I was reminded of how real & alive this being was forming inside me through the changes in my body & inevitably through feeling his kicks of hellos & goodnights. Finally, nine months later in September, our baby that we first saw at 4cms back in January finally elongated to 49cms and had hands, feet, ten fingers, head, ears, eyes, nose, mouth, torso & a smile that would melt any person in the room.

The last quarter of the year was another round of continous amazement. I am absolutely dumbfounded to know & see with my very own eyes that this baby is truly half of Mr M & half of me. One single cell from mummy, another from daddy would later combine to carry its own 46 chromosomes that would ultimately transcribe his unique genetic makeup. I remember studying Anatomy in Biology back in 1998 and thinking 'wow, how amazing is the Human Body especially from the reproduction phase!'. Now ten years on, my mind boggles just seeing what was once text book theory now breathing into life.


As I read the following scripture and having first hand experience of seeing life being created, I am reminded of the grandeur of God that we worship. He is the maker of heaven and earth, the creator of Life. He knew of our existence even before we were born. His Might is truly indescribable and 2008 was just that, an absolute amazement.

Psalm 139:13-16
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

We thank & praise you God for given us this huge honour & privilege to be chosen as parents in 2008 over Zachariah...