Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Maternal Instinct

I remember several times in my life when my mother, in her spirit knew something was wrong with me even when we were separated by the ocean. Now that I am a mother, it amazes me that I too have adopted this supernatural power.

Every morning just before Zach wakes up, I would all of a sudden wake up for no reason at all. Then, 30 seconds later, I would hear my little one begin crying in his cot. This happens nearly every morning since giving birth to him!

Then there was an incident once when we took him for a stroll in his pram. All of a sudden, he started to cry. Mr M was comforting him using his words of affirmation. I, on the other hand knew that something was wrong. Immediately, I checked his body and sure enough an ant was on his arm & it had bit him.

There are also several moments when he just stares at me çooing & I know exactly what he's talking about. I can't explain how all this happen but I think it's got to do with the fact that it is the mother who has carried their child in their womb for 9 months and somehow, this maternal instinct doesn't go away even when the child is out of them. Hair raising but true :)