Monday, October 19, 2009

The milk bottle debate


About 8 mths ago, my girlfriend told me about the dangers of Zach's most pride item - his milk bottle which was none other than Avent.

She told me about how all the clear Avent bottles have this harmful chemical called Bisphenol A which is used to make polycarbonate plastic. Among other products, it can be found in clear plastic baby bottles, reusable water bottles, and microwave ovenware.

BPA, the industrial chemical mimics the hormone estrogen and may disrupt the body's endocrine system.

Scientific studies have shown that even low levels of BPA in children derived from the early years of developement can cause the following when they're older:

- Disrupt the normal functioning of our hormones.
- Cause behavioural effects, including hyperactivity and increased aggression.
- Lead to impaired learning.
- Be associated with obesity and diabetes.
- Affect the timing of the onset of puberty.
- Stimulate mammary gland development, which is a risk factor for breast cancer.
- Significantly increase prostate size.
- Alter the functioning of the immune system.
- Also interfere with the normal development of a foetus.

Furthermore, apparently Bisphenol A is associated with miscarriages in women. There has been so many articles written about this. So feel free to google it!

Now I had actually read many of the articles but was still not convinced until I found out that countries such as Canada has even banned Avent BPA bottles from entering in their country! That's when it clicked; For a country to ban such a world wide known brand, they must've had so much scientific evidence to prove that BPA bottles does affect a child's development!

So finally after about 12.5mths of using Avent bottles (God forgive me!), I have finally switched to BPA free bottles. Thanks to my bro who works for a subdiary company that also owns Medela, his company was generous enough to give him at least 5 Medela bottles all for his cute nephew! So yes, I've finally switched so I hope all the mummies out won't take as long as I did to stop using Avent! As a parent, I've learned to never take any risks, not even a slight chance that it may damage my child's wellbeing and future...
Pssstt.. if you're like me who's bought everything Avent brand (eg. from breastpump, sterilisers to even their bottle warmer bag) then not to worry, b/c Avent has just released their BPA Free bottles & BPA free electronic breast pump!! Click here for more info!