Thursday, March 13, 2008

The power of the Nose

It's funny when you're pregnant, you have a 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th & 10th sense. All the smells become stronger & you tend to smell it from a mile away. On top of this, all the smells you use to love, becomes aromas you will loathe. The things you use to hate all of sudden smells so good... weird I know. You got to blame it on the hormones!

So here are the list of things I crave & loathe:

Crave:
I basically crave for everything that I am not allowed to eat.. these include
> Sashimi.....hmmm...
> Soft cheeses.. omg I miss my Camembert, Bries & oh blue vein cheeses...not fair!
> A good fresh Salad (another no no's when you're pregnant!)
> Chocolates
> Coke! yes I craved for caffeine but no I didn't drink a single sip!
> Sushis! (I would eat sushis at Ichiban Boshi at my workplace every 2nd day!)
> Starfruit (yes I don't know where that came from)
> Mangosteens (hmm.. have always loved mangis!)
> Vegies especially loh bok (white turnip)
> My most fav of all - Fries! (during my first trimester when I couldn't eat anything, all I could eat without puking were fries! crazy I know but it's what I can eat when I have motion sickness too.

Loathe:
> I could not stand the smell of beef (especially the Black Pepper steak restaurant here in SG!)
> I could not stand the smell of pork (especially stir fried ones)
> I could not stand the smell of fish
> I could not drink a whole glass of milk
> I could not eat ice cream without thinking of vomitting afterwards (basically anything creamy I couldn't eat!)
> I could not eat Chinese food too frequently (Eg. Hainese Chicken Rice, fried bean shoots, basically chinese dishes etc)
> I could not drink Vitagen cultured drink (which was what I once drank every single day!)
> I could not eat Dau Fu Fa (once again, too creamy)
> Anything saturated in oil (except fries) would also be puked out afterwards

There you have it. Thank God 1st trimester is all over. Now that I'm in the 2nd, it's getting better although I still have the occasional nausea. It's funny cos I haven't had a HUGE craving for anything yet.. When I say crave above, I mean the things I could eat w/o thinking of puking. But honestly, I still have zero cravings!
Man when am I going to crave for ice cream?!! I love ice cream.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi dear, congrats! now dat u r in d 2nd trimester. As for me, i truly did not hv any cravings @ all throughout my pregnancy. I remember was ONCE i wanted steak ... n dats all. no more! I cannot stand d smell of rice .. yucks! it really stinks n d oil esp chinese frying ..... neways, just 2 let u know my "little" secret ...... i drank coke n other soft drinks (dat i crave for) coz is so nice, sweet n cold.
steph