Thursday, September 2, 2010

Zachariah's reaction to his Mei Mei

Before Davi was born, I was convinced that Zach would be very jealous towards his little sister. This was true when he first visited us in the hospital. Our poor little man didn't know why everyone was doting over her and not him and as a result, he didn't even want to look at her.

However, after giving him all the presents (apparently it's from his mei mei) at the hospital with all of us watching (parents & grandparents), he loved all of his presents so much that he decided to also show it to his mei mei which mind you was the first time he glanced at her. Ever since then, he has been doting over her non-stop.


The only time he does gets jealous is when he sees she's getting her bottle of milk (pumped breastmilk of course). He would then point to it and demands us to get him a bottle of nei nei as well.

Other than that, he has been such a darl. Here are all the gorgeous things he has done to date:

1) Being the first to arrive to Mei Mei's rescue every time she cries. He would then pat her on the blanket or sometimes stroke her head to calm her down.

2) Mei Mei doesn't like her baths and would cry at the top of her lungs literally. Gor Gor here would always come to her rescue and has to also watch us bath her as if to 'supervise' us just in case we treat her wrong.

3) Every time I'm breast feeding D, Z would kindly ask me if he could 'bao bao' (carry) mei mei. I would then let him and he would then finish it off with a kiss to her cheeks.

4) There was once I was breast feeding D, Z saw me in an awkard position and he walked up to me and shoved a pillow down my back without me asking at all. I didn't even know what he was doing until the pillow was shoved down my back. Oh my I was so touched.

5) I was holding D to sleep and he walked up to me to hands me a new breast pad cos he's seen me change it before and knows where I store all the new ones. Oh my he is definitely mummy's little helper.

6) When we sit in the car, Z's car seat is right next to D's car seat. So each time, he would pat his sister and say 'mei mei, mei mei'. I'm sure little D is thinking.. gor gor, enough of all your caress. I just want to get some sleep! lol.

7) I've read in the books that to ensure the eldest child doesn't get jealous by the new baby in the house, you have to show as much love to the eldest child as before so he doesn't feel neglected. So we have practised this. In fact, even when times are so chaotic (eg. mei mei screaming in the bath) & Z is in the way blocking our bathroom entrance, we would still welcome him and explain to him what's happening instead of saying 'get out of the room Z etc'. This has really made him love her more. However, there was this one time when I was going insane looking after the 2 kids all by myself surviving on only 2hours of sleep. I was trying to calm D down as she had been crying for a while and Z was getting really left out. He wanted me to go every where in the house w him which was not practical at all with a crying baby in one hand. So I resisted. Before you know it, he is throwing his tantrum and I could feel that he was starting to hate his mei mei. So I made sure he was getting the love before he got any more angry.

8) Ever since D was born, both Mr M & I can really see the changes in Z. He has really matured a lot and has stepped up to his duty as a gor gor. For example, before D was born, Z would always climb into her cot when he had first set it up next to our bed. But now that she's here, he has never climbed into her cot ever. He knows he needs to give it to her mei mei. Same with his bouncer chair. He was always playing w it while I was pregnant with D. As soon as she's out, he's fine with mei mei sitting in 'his chair' and at times even when she's not around, Z would point to the chair and say 'mei mei' as if saying that it is now 'her chair'. He has been extremely helpful around the house. Whenever I am b/f and need a tissue/remote control for example, he would gladly go get it for me. His character just proves to us that he is fine w giving his things to mei mei & even allowing us to spend more time with her cos he knows she is so small and requires us to nurse her more than we need to nurse him. I know it's sounding a bit ridiculous but he really does show that maturity to us. We are sooooo proud of him!

I can only pray now that he will continue to be a good Dai Gor (big bro) to his lil sis and always protect her and watch out for her and vice versa as they grow up together.
I pray they will be best of friends...