Monday, May 5, 2008

Dipping-Sipping-Eating-Shopping Sunday!

After having such a bad night's rest, I absolutely struggled to wake up this morning to go to church. I told Mr M to tell our church friend David to not pick us up as I really could not wake up. Furthermore, I had bad nausea (yes it's back again! just when I'm about to end my 2nd trimester!).
So we stayed at home the whole day until about 4pm. I started to crave for You Char Kueh or in mandarin called 'You Tiao' or in English called the long looking Chinese Donut to dip it into a very nice teh tarik & kopi-o (no milk) just like my childhood days. Actually I've noticed a strange common denominator with all of my cravings and that is they are usually food that goes back to my childhood (Eg. Cheezels was a treat that my mother would buy whenever we drove 1hr to the supermarket in Kluang from where we lived in the palm oil estate of Kahang & You Char Kueh was what I ate every morning as a child aged 4-7y.o at my KL aunt's house in PJ along with Kopi-O for breakfast! hmmmm heaven!).

Anyhow, so since the only decent place that sold nice You Char Kueh was on Orchard Rd (The food court in Tangs basement), we literally got out of the house and spent a good half hour train ride to go to Orchard Rd just so we could dip our Chinese donuts in Kopi-O! hahaha & it was soooo worth the effort! :)

Since we were already in Food Republic Wisma Atria for our kopi-o & teh tarik, we decided to also have our dinner there after our dipping ritual. Like always, Mr M had his Nasi Berani with mutton (which you can rarely find in Oz) & I had my hokkien noodle which always has a long queue! (Hokkien mee is the SG style but still no where as good as the Malaysian Black Hokkien Mee)! To finish dinner off, we shared a very nice ice kacang with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.. hmmm.... Shhh... don't tell my gynae will you!

After dinner, Mr M promised to accompany me to go shopping for my funky mama clothes and what I mean by that is fashionable clothes that pregnant women can wear which are NOT bought in a terrible maternity wear shop! So we went to nearly every shop in Wisma Atria & Mr M ended up swiping his card numerous times. The damage > > drum roll.... a total of approx SG$150 for 3 tops & 1 dress. To think that amount of money can buy 150 pieces of You Char Kueh *sigh...