My father who is the master chef of the house continously make me Ang Jiu Mee Sua - Home made Red wine noodle soup for me to eat every 3rd day. Once again ginger is one of the key ingredients in all of my meals as ginger ensures my body is kept 'warm' and it also acts to minimise wind in my insides.
The funniest thing during the 1 week Mr M & I were in hospital was that my parents would come to the hospital like a typical Chinese parent bringing their pot of rice cooker, vacuum flask, bucket (for the ginger bath etc) making the Aussies think we are mad... it's so funny! But the most funniest when my parents couldn't come to see me during lunch times so they would make Mr M go back home to pick up my lunch. If Mr M decides to stay a bit longer at home (eg. preparing the nursery for his son's home coming) my very cute bah-bi would rush him out of the house so that I would have my lunch on time!
Thus, my confinement looks something like this:
> Meals - consist of a lot a lot and a lot of MEAT - in particularly chicken & pork as they're all believed to be 'repairing the body'. I have minimal veggies except the leafy greens. All the rest I can't have as they're all 'cooling' foods which are a No No during confinement. The foods that are my staple during this one month are: Ginger, red wine, D.O.M whisky (by the tablespoon), Durian, herbal soups & drinks, chicken, red meat, fish, pork, pork leg with ginger & vinegar (sweet & sour - tastes really good), milk and hot chocolate/milo with egg. That's basically main food.. all the rest are out (eg. Any takeaway food are a no no, no junkfood except chocolate, no fizzy drinks & not even water unless it is very very hot but I can only drink small amounts to ensure all the swell in my legs & hands go down since there's still a lot of water in it).
> Bath - I can only take a bath with very Hot Ginger water only, three times a week & wash my hair twice a week. I can only take a bath in the afternoon where the weather is the warmest. I also need to soak in salt water to ensure the stitches heal quickly every single day for at least 10 minutes. Oh & I am not allowed to touch cold water so my darling parents & hubby has to wash the dishes/wash my clothes & baby's clothes on my behalf until my confinement is over... I ain't complaining about this one! ha! Oh and I need to hair dry my air immediately after washing it too. If my mum sees my hair half dry, she would literally take the hair dryer out and dry my hair on the spot (eg. if I'm breastfeeding, she would come into my room hair drying my hair while I breastfeed baby.. it's so funny!)
> Outings - totally banned. The only access to the outside world is via internet!
Anyway, as much as I love to complain to my parents about how boring my confinement is, nonetheless I still thank my parents for looking after me soooo well especially in feeding me with 'proper food' & doing so many of my chores on my behalf. I've never seen them fussing over me so much in my entire life up until now. I absolutely appreciate & love my mah-mi & bah-bi.
Making Ang Jiu (red wine):
My mum had already preserved the red wine at least 6mths prior to this day.
Then it is my dad's job to squeeze all the wine out once they've reached its maturity.

1 comment:
wah! ang jiu mee sua ..... makes me so hungry, n it really looks good too! Its so nice to have ur parents so fuss over u in everything, right?
Neways, wana let u noe dat u can take bath everyday wif d ginger water but can wait til its abit cool la - its ok one. U sound so funny wif d ginger sticking on ur hair :-) u noe wat ... u can ask ur bah-bi 2 remove all d ginger bits b4 u bathe.
Remember, after washing ur hair u need 2 blow dry them as fast as possible n not let it air dry, if not ... again la ... associated it wif WIND.
happy confinement! n hei, did ur bah-bi cook vinegar pork leg? dats yummy too.
luv, steph
Post a Comment