After hearing the powerful Easter Sermon from Ps Dan Lian at Citylife Manningham, we made our way to the city to join the lovely couple May & Derek who was once Mr M's ex colleagues but now have become dear friends to us for an Easter feast lunch.
Catching up with them is always such a pleasure as it always involve good food, company, a fantastic ambience and who can forget.. an insight to the world of the filthy rich! They decided to take us to the finest restaurant in Melbourne - no other than the extremely overpriced classy Rockpool.
This is my 2nd time here & Mr M's 3rd time here. Now it's nothing to boast about except that as soon as you walk in, you will know instantly that this is a very very posh restaurant.
One of the indication is that all waiters have to wear their fine looking white suit jacket. You will instantly know that these waiters are not your ordinary restaurant's waiters. Rather you can tell that they've gone through an extensive culinary etiquette course just by the way they pour their wine, sparkling water, put the food on the table etc. Everything they do has class.
As soon as you walk in the restaurant, you will find fine quality meat hung up on display. Mind you this is definitely not like your uncle wong's kitchen's charsiew/siew yok. Rather, all the red meat you see cost from min.$50+ and can go as high as $250 a plate! The entrees itself costs min.$25+ and once again the food was good but definitely not value for money!
May & Derek highly recommended for me to try the Cafe De Paris Rump Steak. It was definitely good alright but once again a little warning, you may choke on your meat right after finding out that a plate of this costs approx $80. The wagyu beef burger on your right costs approx $40! Definitely not your Hungry Jack's burger that's for sure.
Mr M & Derek tried the best cut of meat (which you can choose if you want a grain fed cow or a grass fed/30/60/90 days old cow etc) in the restaurant. A plate costs approx $125 of just meat alone! But, the best part of the meal I thought was the bottle of wine. It was a Red from Italy region which costs a min. $150 a bottle (I can't remember the name . I did think about writing it down but then I thought.. bleh.. I will never get the chance to buy it myself anyway why bother right?) I think all up, lunch costed like $650 btw the 4 of us! Thank God we weren't paying otherwise I would've bengsan for sure!
Next on the agenda was to finally visit their new home which they've just finished renovating. It's a brand new apartment in the city which has a 360' view of the entire Melb CBD plus you can even see Mt Dandenong & the bay area! It was where I marveled at everything in their home. Nearly every one of their home furnishings was Armani design (yes Armani don't just do fragrances/fashion but they also do furnitures & home furnishings too! Georgio Armani is one of Derek's friends you see...)
See the Armani beige colour Rug below? that piece of fluff costed a whopping $10K! *faints*
The couch & table is also by Armani (I didn't dare to ask how much those costed! I think I overhead Derek saying to Mr M that it costs approx $50K for 2 single seat sofas!)
See the Armani beige colour Rug below? that piece of fluff costed a whopping $10K! *faints*
The couch & table is also by Armani (I didn't dare to ask how much those costed! I think I overhead Derek saying to Mr M that it costs approx $50K for 2 single seat sofas!)
BUT the biggest drool of all had to be their all shiny black with metallic silver appliances & marbel bench top kitchen. OMG It was absolutely stunning/beautiful! I swear I could bake all day just being in their kitchen. It was sooooo big (the photo below was just HALF of the size). So me being a typical lou poh, exclaimed to my LG 'I want one too!'. Derek then patted Mr M on the shoulder & said to him with the utmost sincerity 'Yes bro, it's only $100K for this kitchen. If you want it with appliances, it will be $25K extra' - (Mr M gulped)
One thing I like about the lovely couple is that even though sometimes they are living up above the clouds, nonetheless they are still very generous & giving people. Yes, they are showy (but not the Singaporean type of showy but rather the little kids 'look mummy/daddy' kind of showy - one that seeks to gain acceptance/approval if you get what I mean) but they are not at all stingy. In fact, while they were giving us tour of their electronic blinds & curtains master bedroom & their armani bed/linen, they also gave us a tour of their walk in wardrobe - one for him & one for her. It was there that they showed us their Laurastar iron & ironing board (which are like the ferarri's of irons) which according to them is the best invention since sliced bread. Their iron/board costed them $1500 and they really encouraged us to invest in it. Cheap hey? *faints again* Then it was there where the day became even more hilarious. Derek started to show Mr M how the iron can also iron on leather. So he took out one of his dozen leather jackets as a demonstration. After the demonstration was done, he handed over Mr M his jacket & asked him to try it on. It fitted on Mr M so well. Gosh he looked soooooo good in it I must admit :) Before you know it, Derek says to Mr M 'keep it brother'. Both of our eyeballs fell out. Then before you know it, May turns around & finds two of her tops which are brand new that has never been worn. She asks me to try it which for some bizarre coincidence fitted me really well as well & before you know it she says 'Keep it'. I later got home & found out that both tops still had their price tag on it! Each of the blouse was like $180 each! OMG u know how many tops from Kmart & Target I can buy with that?! *faints*
Both Mr M & I were sooooo paiseh but the lovely couple kept on insisting us to take it so before you know it, they had already packed it away in their massive Louis Vuitton paper bag for us to take home.
After all the show & tell, it was time for dinner. Yes more eating! This time it was off to Miyako Japanese restaurant at Southgate for some tepanyaki. It was Z's first time watching the chef cook tepanyaki. It was so cute to watch as he was so engrossed by it all.
By the time we got home, it was very close to midnight and boy what an 'eye opener' to the lifestyle of the filthy rich!
