Monday, May 11, 2009

Zachariah's first fever

I remember my colleague in Singapore once said to me (when I was only pregnant at the time) 'when your child is sick with eg. Fever, as a parent, your heart just breaks seeing them feeling so sick'. So finally a year later, it was time to discover the meaning of his words.

I received a call from my husband in the evening asking me to leave work now because Z developed a fever. Immediately I shut down my computer and rushed to the nearest pharmacy to get some baby panadol. The whole journy home I was praying for my little one asking God to heal him.

As soon as I got home, Z was asleep and you could tell that he was sick because he usually wouldn't sleep at 6pm. Not only that when he woke up, it was like life had been sucked out of him. He was so frail, tired & had no appetite to eat anything. He didn't give one smile at all. It was not like my typical little happy boy at all (and what a transformation this was compared to how happy he was the day before on Mother's Day!)

His temperature was about 38.6 (normal is btw 36'-37'). We monitored this over a period of 3 hours and finally decided to give him baby panadol. Now on the instructions it says we can just give it straight b/c it is cherry & vanilla flavoured. After giving Z his first drop, he regurgitated some milk out. I thought it was only a little reflux. So I persisted again giving his second drop. Immediately after he took it, he did a projectile vomit. All of his food came straight out of his tummy, out of his throat and landed straight onto our living room carpet! Both Mr M & I were mortified by the sight and I think the worried look on our face made Zach scared & he finally cried. Both of our hearts were really aching for him to get well.

After Mr M cleaned up the carpet while I cleaned up little Z, we persisted on giving him baby panadol but this time with his favourite food of all - His milk bottle! And it worked! He gulped it all down. We then prayed over him to get well. The next morning, he was back to his chirpy self. Praise God!