Monday, May 31, 2010

The Bet.

Now I have to tell you all a funny story about my husband's dramatic weight loss... Yes! he's finally lost weight! *me doing cartwheels with a big belly*

Ok a little bit of history. Ever since we were 'pah-tohing', he used to be this very fit & muscle-ly guy who visited the gym nearly every day. He looked really good. Then finally he proposed and we started doing long distance after I had moved to Singas. He was so happy and content that I was already half his that he started to well.. 'lose' himself. When I had came back to Melbourne to marry him 1 week before our wedding day, I was shocked to see his weight gain. After all, I had lost weight to look good for our wedding photos & he had gone to do the opposite! Argh. At the time it was probably only 3kg but you could definitely notice the change.

After we got married, I imported him into Singapore. He fell in love with all the hotel buffets not to mention all of the wonderful asian cuisines which I have famously blogged about under the Food archives. During the one year he was there in Singas, he had put on 3kg. Once again, he had promised me he would lose the weight when we move back to Melbourne. Of course pigs can fly too. After we moved back to Melbourne, he yet again ate his heart out on all of the food he had missed. Another couple of kgs was put on.

Enough was enough. I started to plead with him to lose weight for me. That didn't work. Then I used Zach as the excuse. That didn't work either. Then I used our 2nd child as the motivator, that didn't work either. Finally something clicked in him last weekend when he & I had placed a bet that he would lose 5kg in a week! I knew that was absolutely impossible cos I know even myself can't do it and as if he could! So the bet was that if he wins, I would agree to allowing him buy a Porsche covertible as our next 'family' car *Big gulp* and if I win, he would give me a foot massage every single night until I deliver. A fair exchange right? especially since I was super confident that I was going to win. So we shook on it.

During the week, I was absolutely gobsmacked when Mr M refused to eat anything but an apple for dinner. Not only that, he was doing sit ups, chin ups, push ups (with adorable Z copying him doing the push ups thinking his daddy was so funny). The biggest test came when we had a family dinner out at his fav Italian restaurant where we had even ordered The Lot pizza (his absolute favourite) and he refused to eat any of it. He didn't even eat the Fettucine Carbonara as well! And what did he order instead? For the first time ever.. he had ordered a leafy boring plate of Salad! Then on another day of the week, we went to TGI for lunch. I had ordered a TGI Jack Daniel's burger and Mr M? well he ordered another plate of Salad (which mind you was more expensive than my burger! figure that one out). I was so shocked by his discipline all in the name of his beloved Porsche!

Anyway, finally 7 days had past and we had the weigh in last night. Mr M had lost 5kg in 1 week! I had to rub my eyes twice & check to see something was wrong with the scale. I was absolutely in denial on 2 folds. 1) That he actually had done it 2) A horrible vision of Mr M putting my two precious two young children in their car seat strapped to his small little Convertible! Arghhh! I tried to talk him out of it but he cleverly repeated my famous phrase that I always say to him 'A promise is a promise you know' (cos I take promises very seriously and don't go back on my word & expects the same from him).

But hey, for just once, call me a sore loser, but I now need to find a really good reason why he can not get a Porsche!! Arghh! What have I got myself into?!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha ..... u 2 .. so cute! hey but u can't deny dat MEN love cars, didn't u know? He'l do nething for a Porshe :D so wen he's getting? pbbly its abt time i pay u guys a visit. lemme know ok??
luv,steph

sika said...

wow!!! such a determination... all in the name of Porsche hahaha. i wish i can lose 5 kgs in a week. must follow kelv when he's doing his workout. but i think i'll faint.

Mrs Ming said...

come cous! We would love to have u guys over & our kids can play together too! :)

Let me know when you're planning to come? I'm planning to go back to work after mat leave on March 1 so come like in Feb or something! Just don't come when it's winter (June).. too miserable. Come like Summer or Spring (say Nov-Dec time is good too.. can go cherry picking!)

Let me know!! xo

Anonymous said...

hi dear, wif emily goin 2 primary school nex yr it's gona quite difficult. Now i can only travel either in Jun / Nov (so iguess we'l c u end of nex year :D) Neways, by then I gues Kelv wld hv gotten his Porsche right? then i can test drive ;D
steph

Anonymous said...

U should post his 'before & after' photos here! Ha!

Mee Yong