Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Girly Afternoon & Night!

My boss Kir (Kirsten) has always loved make up. Finally she decided to enroll herself into an intensive 8wks course with the Academy of Napolean Perdis to get her certificate at the end of it so she can practice what she loves doing in her spare time as a side hobby and of course to earn extra pocket money. She needed an Asian model & of course I, who rarely gets the opportunity of getting made up, happily volunteered to be her model for 3 hours.

I must admit, my butt, neck & back was getting sore after sitting for 3hours. It doesn't help being 34wks pregnant either! Nonetheless, the price you pay for vanity was absolutely worth it!
There were great tips I learned from the class today:
1) Every girl needs a Primer - which is basically like a white lotion that you apply first & foremost on your skin so that it smooths your face before you apply your make up (to prevent the foundation from being creasy/cakey)
2) Invest in a good blender brush - Napolean brush 16B apparently is a good buy and works wonders in blending the eye shadow to give it the 3 different shades look.
3) Always put foundation before applying eye shadow as it makes the eye shadow stick onto your skin so it lasts longer & doesn't smouch.
4) Asian skin is usually a Golden Sand colour of foundation vs a beige colour - For Asians which happens very commonly tend to pick the wrong shade of foundation (eg. if you take a photo of yourself with your foundation & look terribly white in the photo, then you know you've used the wrong shade of foundation. You've probably picked a beige colour vs a golden sand colour).
5) Concealer is a must around the eyes to smooth out the lines & to ensure your eye liner/eye shadow stays longer
6) On a side note, I never knew Napolean Perdis (who is an Australian Greek man) is straight! He sure sounds very gay when he speaks but he actually has a beautiful wife with 4 beautiful daughters (3 of whom are triplets!)
Here's my first look called the Yasmine Eye - which is basically applying only one colour and playing with the blending. Her instructor was super pleased by Kir's techniques & gave her a really good assessment. I thought it really made my eyes stand out alright but was totally honest to her that I would definitely not go out in public wearing ORANGE eye shadow :)

Next was what I was looking forward to the most - Smokey eyes!! OMG did I look hot or what? I absolutely loved it & begged Kir to be my make up artist every single day! :)



Doesn't it just define the eyes so beautifully?


Here's me with my make up artist (who happens to also be my boss too :)

Kir asked me afterwards what Mr M would think of it. I told her the truth.. um.. I think he's going to be a bit shocked & thrown back. I told her too that I was actually looking forward to seeing what my little man would think. I kinda had the feeling that he might need a few seconds to digest before finally realising that I am his mother when I greet him at home. And fair enough, as soon as I got home and had shut the front door, I could hear my little one upstairs running to the gate screaming out 'mama mama'. I ran upstairs to see a very happy boy & said to him 'Hello baby!'. I then flicked on the lights and you see him looking so stunned. He looked at me strangely for 5 secs & then pointed to his eyes while blinking his eyes as if he was in pain talking in his baby gibberish language. I'm certained he must've said something like 'what happened to your eyes mama? did someone give you a black eye (x2)? Are you in pain?'. It was the most cutest sight. My hubby on the other hand, when I walked up to him and asked him how did I look? He too had this strange look on his face & finally said 'it's a bit... dark'. He didn't like it at all cos I knew he wouldn't approve of the 'intense' look whereas every girl I know thought it was HOT! It's funny how guys & girls have two completely different taste!
Anyway, so that night I organised a girls night out with my high school friends. We went to Ying Thai at the corner of Hoddle St & Victoria Rd. The food was good but the company was even better.


After dinner, we then proceeded to Cafe Notturno on Lygon St to have our dessert & literally chatted the night away. I had told Mr M that I would be back by 10pm. But by the time I even thought to look at my watch atthe restaurant, it was already 11pm! We finally got home at around 11:30pm even though the night started at 6pm! oopsies!!



We had so much fun didn't we girls?! Can't wait to do it all over again in 3wks time (just pray that I don't pop by then).