This blog entry is dedicated to my beloved KL aunty whom I call my 2nd mother! She's looked after my brother & I ever since we were little. We lived in KL with my aunty & her family for a period of time when my mum was a nurse in KL. So that's why my aunt is still very special to me 23yrs on... hence why she also came all the way to Melbourne to attend our wedding last August.
I decided to write down the reasons why this woman is so special, cute, down to earth & simply beautiful in every little way.
Every time she comes down to Singapore (which mind you has only been three times), she would bring her entire kitchen & Malaysia to our home. Some of the things she has brought for Kelv & I has included: her home made vinegar pork leg (cooked from the night before & stored in a jar for us to heat up and eat for dinner and brought all the way on the 4hrs journey!), her home made dark choc cake (hmm so yummy), kampong eggs from farm bred chickens with out any hormone injections (yes she would store it carefully just to bring it across the mile for us despite how fragile eggs are! ) Oh & she doesn't just buy half a dozen either! Instead, my aunty buys a whole year's supply cos she knows how much Kelv & I love eating half boiled eggs, she would buy all sorts of rubbish that she knows I love & she always analyses what I like to eat every time I go back to Malaysia & buys the exact same thing back to me when she sees me the next time & mind you her two daughters plus my cous' children does the same thing too! hahaha (eg shat kek mah, A&W root beer etc). Most importantly whenever she does her marketing in Malaysia & sees any good buy for household use, she too would buy it for both mum & I (eg. toothpick holder, crockeries, back rest, etc)
So on the weekend when she came to visit us, she bought us a big silver stainless steel bowl which she says 'it's very handy for washing veggies' (so practical yet so cute). She also got us a whole year's supply of fruits: at least 2kg worth of Valencia oranges, another 3kgs worth of Massive Japanese Nashi pears which mind you one of this pear can feed both Kelv & I, another 2kg worth of Fuji apples. Basically my entire fridge is filled with fruits brought all the way from Malaysia. I Love it!
Then if this was not enough, she also baked her home made bread as well as her famous choc cake the night before she was going to come visit us and bought two tubs of the most tastiest kaya (has to be made in Malaysia of course)! Gosh it's heaven! From an empty fridge to a fridge filled with food! ha! Mr M was a very happy boy!
Of course the most touching thing my aunt brought with her this time was a whole box of Chinese Herbal medicine which she had ordered all the way from Sitiawan to be delivered to KL which she then brought to me in SG for my confinement (the 1mth period after delivery where the newly mum can not do anything except to rest & drink lots of these Chinese Herbal concoctions). I think she spent at least RM200 on this & she would not take my money either... a typical mother/grandmother she is...
On Sunday morning, she made Kelv & I sit down so that she can go through with us exactly how to cook each of the herbs for my confinement. Mr M pretended to listen, while I gave my 110% attention to my aunt, writing all her instructions down in my little book (because my mum had already told me the night before to write down all her sister's instructions cos my own mum has no idea about all the Chinese traditions haha.. so funny!).
I also asked my aunty if she could help repair the zip on my 3/4 black pants as my pregnant tummy had broke the zip 2mths ago. I had gone around the tailors in SG to see if anyone could fix it & they all couldn't repair the damage for me. Of course my aunt looked at the broken zip and nodded as if it was so sup sup soi to fix. So I decided to give her another one of my blouse which had ripped in the washing machine also two months back. I knew I couldn't fix it myself. My hubby too could not fix it. So my last resort was my aunt. Once again, she looked at the damage & immediately asked me to give her a thread & needle. Within half hour later, my blouse was good as new! Thank God for my aunty! It's moment like these I wonder if I should've been more domesticated like learning how to sew! ha!
My aunt is so cute. The whole time when we were taking the taxi roaming around SG, she would look at the taxi meter & convert SG $ into RM and making her typical comments about just how expensive taxi is raah raah raah... The same thing again when we sit to drink Teh Tarik or eat roti prata - she would yet again convert $SGD into RM and tell me just how expensive it is in RM. I told her, when you're on holiday, you can not always convert foreign currency to your local currency. You must look at the price $ to $. Otherwise you might as well drink water & bring your own food from Malaysia every where you go traveling. She laughed & so did I..
Before she went home, she helped me to buy a double boiler (which my mum had requested for) so that I can use this to boil all the chinese herbal medicine for my confinement. I really had no clue what the heck was a double boiler. Thank God for my aunt. A life saver - Heaven Sent!!
We finally said goodbye to my aunt, my cous & the whole family at AMK Hub on Sunday afternoon. I really was wishing she could come to Australia after my delivery so that I could pay her to be my confinement aunty cos she knows sooo much in not only looking after the new mother but as well as the baby! I had told her previously that I would have no idea what to do when the baby comes. She gave me a good word of encouragement and that is 'when your child is born, you as the mother will automatically know how to look after your child so don't worry.'
Love you aunty!!
xoxo
