Saturday, June 14, 2008

Gestational Diabetes Test

Btw the weeks of 26-28 of your pregnancy, you would need to get a gestational diabetes check. This check basically measures whether or not the mother has gestational diabetest (which is common in pregnant woman but is only temporary for the duration of your pregnancy. If you are tested positive to it, then there will be some complications in the pregnancy/delivery later on & your baby once born will need a jab of needle to reverse the diabetes). In Singapore, this is not compulsory as usually when you visit the gynae every month, we are always asked to get a urine test done on this strip of coloured paper to check for abnormalities in the blood sugar level. So far for me, it's been all negative. Thank God!
However since I know my new gynae in Melbourne will be asking me for the test results (as you can't get the test done past 28 weeks!), I thought I better get it done before it's too late. I tell you the test is pretty troublesome.

We woke up this morning at 7:30am to arrive at Mt Elizabeth Hospital by 8:30am. From there, I needed to get my urine & blood test done every hour x 3 times! Not only that, I am not allowed to drink water or eat anything as of midnight the following night until the test is completed at around 10:30-11am. So my poor hubby dragged himself out of bed to accompany me this morning despite how tired he was. He actually insisted on coming even though I told him to sleep in. I tell you I have such a great hubby :)
So after I had my first blood & urine test, I was asked to drink this bottle of fanta but extra sweet drink within five minutes. After that, I was to time myself from the time I had finished the drink until the next hour for my blood/urine test again.



I had actually wanted to go shopping in Paragon to kill time. However the nurses banned me from doing that b/c everyone under the test should be resting & not be burning the sugar in our system. Haiz... so Kelv & I decided to just sit by Coffee Club next to the laboratory to pass time instead. My hubby on the other hand wanted to write down his next master plan for his career for the next 2years. Since we had no paper, he went to ask coffeeclub staff for a paper bag so that he woudl write down his 'future' plans. I couldn't stop laughing..

The next 2hrs, I was back into the lab to do two more blood & urine test. I tell you the third time the needle went through to draw my blood, it really killed cos my vein had already swollen up. Boy oh boy, it looked like I was a drug addict or something with so many needle jab marks. Anyway, I will know the test results in 2wks time. If the test shows I am clear, then it means for the balance remainder of my pregnancy term, I will never get gestational diabetes! Yepee! So pls join with me in prayer :)

Finally at 11am, all was over. My hubby asked me what I would like for breakkie & of course I said 'You Tiao' dipped in kopi-o & teh tarik :) gosh it was soooo good. Definitely will miss this when we go back to Australia!

After that, we did more shopping for the house which costed another $200 before we went for dim sum at Imperial Treasure Nan Bei (Level 5, Taka) to have a nice bowl of congee & mr M's all time fav roast goose & souple noodle.

Finally we went home to rest for a while before we left for Serangoon country club to join Kelv's cousin Colin & his family for our dinner catch up. We haven't seen each other for at least 3mths! It was a great night of fellowship & sharing of God's great work their/our lives. The night was finally over at around 10pm!

Baby & I was so knackered by the time we got back home....zzzzZZZZ