Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Pregnancy: 30 weeks!

(source: babycentre.com.au)
Good news — at this point your baby's lungs and digestive tract are nearly mature, meaning he'll do much better in the event of premature birth. Researchers also believe your baby can actually see now, in utero, but no one knows exactly how much he can make out. He's also becoming more cramped in your uterus and less able to move so freely, although when he does move, you're sure to notice it.

Your baby's lungs and digestive tract are almost fully developed. While your baby may soon slow up growing in length, (he measures about 40 centimetres from crown to toe by now), he will continue to gain weight until he's born. This week your baby continues to open and shut his eyes. He can probably see what's going on in utero, distinguish light from dark and even track a light source. If you shine a light on your stomach, your baby may move his head to follow the light or even reach out to touch the moving glow. Some researchers think baring your stomach to light stimulates visual development. But don't expect 20/20 vision when your baby is born -- newborns can see a distance of only about 20 to 30 centimetres. (Children with normal vision don't reach 20/20 vision until about age 7 to 9.) To complete the picture, your baby now has eyebrows and eyelashes.

How cute, my bub's got eyebrows & Eyelashes now! yay! haha.. Ok so I did take a torch & shone it into my tummy.. however I didn't quite get any reaction from the little one. I think he was asleep when I did it.

Anyhow, it's funny how babycentre talks about less movement in the tummy which is very true & when they said 'when he does move, you will surely notice' - now that is even more True. It actually hurts when he moves now & the feeling is like as if he's moving all of my organs with him every time he turns.

Another strange observation so far happens when I go to sleep at nights. I normally would lie on my left hand side in a lateral position as recommended by my gynae to promote bloodflow to the heart. However, my little one for some reason really hates me lying on my left side (and I think it's cos he's head & little torso is actually on my left hand side cos that's what my recent ultrasound showed). So what does he do? He would kick me so hard, so fast & without ceasing just to make it a point for mummy to turn over to her right hand side. This has been the case for the past one week! Another 'How Bizarre!' moment alright!