Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pregnancy: 34 weeks

(source: www.babycentre.com.au)

Let the countdown begin. This week marks the beginning of your last month of pregnancy. By now your baby should have fully developed lungs (the better for crying with when she's born). If you're worried about going into premature labour, you'll be happy to know that babies born at 35 weeks or beyond have an excellent chance of being healthy and strong.

Your baby now weighs more than 2.2 kilograms and is over 45 centimetres from top to toe. He's filling out and getting rounder -- he'll need his fat layers later to regulate his body temperature. If you don't already talk to your baby, this is a good time to start -- at 35 weeks his hearing is fully developed. Don't feel ridiculous if you're already chatting in baby talk. Some evidence shows that newborns pay closer attention to high-pitched tones. If you've been nervous about going into premature labour, you'll be happy to know that 99 per cent of babies born at week 35 can survive outside the womb -- and most have no major problems. Although your baby's central nervous system is still maturing, his lungs are nearly fully developed by now.

Many women start to notice a tingling sensation or numbness in the pelvic region or pain as they walk. This may be caused by the pelvic joints loosening, ready for labour.

I must say I am now getting a bad case of backache. It all happened the other day when I was at my in law's house & I sat down for too long on their couch in the wrong position. As soon as I got up I could feel I've done my back. It's still trying to recover so hopefully it will all subside by the time I deliver!

Mr M & I decided to go watch Batman - The Dark Knight the other day. We paid $1 extra to be in VMax room (full surround sound theatre). Being a bad mother, I had totally forgotten about how this would make baby Minga feel. So half way through the movie, he started to be restless. Moving up & down, left & right as if to say he didn't like to be there as the movie had some explosive deafening scenes. I told his daddy about it. He took his jacket & my jacket & wrapped it around my tummy in order to shun the sound. That unfortunately did not work. So I told Mr M that I will sit in the car while he finishes watching the last hour of the movie. So off I went. I had to keep on rubbing my tummy to calm baby Minga down. Finally when I got back to the car, he was all ok. I on the other hand felt so bad to put him through all that... the cinema was so loud that the floor was even vibrating! Anyway, in about 20mins later, Mr M joined me b/c he said he couldn't bear to watch it by himself without the two of his babies there accompanying him. kekeke

Anyway, then we went to see the gynae 5 days later, she told me it was perfectly fine for expecting mothers to go to the cinemas. When baby is actively moving, it's actually a good sign vs a baby not moving at all. She told us, she & her husband had watched Transformers when she was pregnant. Her little one also moved up and down but if anything she was happy to get out to see what all the noise was all about. It was a sigh of relief to both Kelv & I as we were worried that we could've damaged baby's hearing! (I know we are paranoid but you can't help it esp when you've carried him for nearly 9mths!). I still think baby Minga was not happy with all the noise. He was more uncomfortable than anything despite what my gynae's told me. I know cos it's the mother's instincts talking..

The other thing I've realised about baby Minga is that he keeps on having hiccups. Once again I asked my gynae if this was normal. She said of course! He would have the hiccups sometimes at least 4 times a day! the poor fella! Basically hiccups just feel like little heart beatings inside your tummy. It's a very strong feeling too that when u put your hand there, you too can feel it. So far Mr M & my mum has felt it.. it's so cute!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. i always learn something new from your blog...
i dunno that the bub would hear what's in the cinema. i thought it would be just all muffled sound to the bub inside the tummy.

also dunno about bub having hiccups inside tummy. anyway... all the best for the rest of your pregnancy... not long to go, vick... take care, enjoy your last few weeks of not having newborn around.