Saturday, August 30, 2008

Preparing for Labour - T.E.N.S machine

We went to our final antenatal class today which was optional. Basically it was to learn more about the T.E.N.S machine which is a device used to help ease labour pain that you can hire & use by yourself in the comfort of your own home prior to coming into hospital for the 2nd stage of labour.

I was a bit sceptical at first at the T.E.N.S machine as I was all for the epidural. However, after surveying many women who went through the epidural, I realised that the downside of epidural (besides the massive horse needle that they use to inject your spine) is that you won't be able to feel your lower part of the body. This means a catheder will be used to flush out your urine since you won't be able to wee yourself either. But the biggest disadvantage is that you won't be able to feel yourself pushing during the 2nd stage of labour and that is why other interventions are commonly needed to assist in the delivery such as forceps (tong like device used to pull out the baby's head!) or vacuum (to suck the baby out).

So since I'm so against the vacuum & forceps, I decided to attend the T.E.N.S class to learn more about it & by the end of the class, I was a big fan of it.

The doctor told us that 54% of women who used T.E.N.S did not use any other forms of labour relief medication (eg. epidural, gas, pethadine etc). Another 42% used some other forms of labour relief medication while 4% didn't use T.E.N.S at all due to an emergency C-Sec.

I was very happy with the stats especially since 54% is the majority and also to know that there are no side effect on mummy or baby when using T.E.N.S vs all the other labour relief methods.

The other good thing about the T.E.N.S is that you can get anyone to put the electrodes on your back as soon as you feel your first contraction. The T.E.N.S machine gives this vibration sensation so that the labour pain can be re-directed to the back where vibration sensations are felt. When I tested it out in the class, it was actually a very good massage therapy. I really liked it. Also another good thing about it is that you can adjust the level of vibration you want according to the intensity of your contractions and best of all you can use it after birth too for the 'after birth' period pain...

An hour after the class was over, I signed up for the kit & paid my $80 rental fee from now until I deliver...

I will let you all know if the machine is of any help at all once my contraction comes ;) What I can tell you now is that now that I have the T.E.N.S machine, I am more ready to run my marathon... I am not as scared of going into labour as I was prior to attening the T.E.N.S class!

BRING IT ON :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, please let me know if it's of any help to ease the pain. apart from your hospital, do you know any other places that might have this TENS for hire? I'm not going to go thru labour without any pain relief at all again.

Mrs Ming said...

hi Sik..

You don't hire TENS machine from the hospital. It's actually through a separate organisation.

The guy's name who invented this type of T.E.N.S is Ray Krieser. He is based in East Brighton (Tel: 9578-6905). Give him a call when you're about 36wks. You can check out how it works via a videoclip on labour at www.tensaustralia.com

Hope your pregnancy is going well. Hang in there. The morning sickness will disappear. I have a feeling you're going to have a boy since the hormones look like it's the opposite of yours.. I'm sure Damien will be happy ;) let me know yeah?! God bless!