Thursday, April 17, 2008

A 'diet' lecture

I have just discovered that the myth about 'it's ok to eat whatever you like & how ever much you like when you're pregnant' is all RUBBISH!

For the first time ever.. I received a good lecture about 'not putting on weight'.

'Vicky pls make sure you don't put on excessive weight gain like this otherwise this will cause complications later down the track for you and your baby', says my Gynae Dr Selina Chua who always seemed so composed & serious.

'What do you think you ate from 4th-5th month that caused such a jump in your weight gain? could it be more carbs you're eating?' asked my Dr.

At that point in time all I wanted to do was to hide my face in a paper bag as I was completely embarrassed & regretful for eating so much rubbish during the past one month. The culprits were of course: Cheezels, Chocolates, other unhealthy snackings & of course my husband's love for all you can eat dinner buffets (Sakae Sushi & Bali Thai). I also decided to give my hubby the look so he knows that it was not completely my fault. Of course he acted all innocent by asking the doctor the responsible question of 'so what do you recommend her to eat to ensure her weight gain is slowed down?'.

So why did Mrs M completely lose the plot you ask?

Ok it all started with when I had only put on 500grams from 3rd-4th month of my pregnancy. I was a bit shocked that after eating so much I had only put on half a kg. To further emphasise my 'slow weight gain' (back then), all my friends & colleagues were telling me how small I looked for being 4th month in my pregnancy.

So I decided to go for my life & eat all sorts of cravings I had to pile on the kgs. Boy did I pile on the kgs or what! 1 mth later, I had put on about 3.2kg when the max. weight gain at 5th month should be about 1.5-2kg! My doc was shocked & was so not impressed.

Now? I feel utterly guilty whenever I look at my half finished packet of cheezels & all the other rubbish in my kitchen pantry. I have promised myself that from now until the next month, I WILL maintain my weight. The sad truth is I can not diet.. because a pregnant woman should never lose weight but only to slow down her weight gain! gosh it's much harder than dieting that's for sure!

This means I will now approach a protein/vegan diet with minimal carbs. No more unhealthy junkfood for the in between hunger and cravings but only healthy snacks like salary sticks & muesli bars or wheat crackers. No more fruit juices but only water (As fruit juice speeds up the process of the baby's growth). No more sugar in my diet. No more all you can eat buffets & high teas but only small & more frequent meals... sigh...

Whatever I do to satisfy my selfish desire is now unacceptable so basically my life is over...

Veggies here I come! Yepee! *rolling eyes*