Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pregnancy: 21 weeks!

(Source: babycentre.com.au)

The fetus now weighs about 360 grams. Up until now he has been measured from crown to rump but from this point on the measurement will be from crown to heel. And from crown to heel he is approximately 27 centimetres long. The eyebrows and eyelids are fully developed and the fingernails cover the fingertips. Your baby can now hear your conversations. If you talk, read, or sing to your baby, expect her to hear you. Some studies have found that newborns will suck more vigorously when read to from a book they heard frequently in utero. If you want to try, pick a book now and read it out loud. Make sure you won't mind reading it over and over once the baby is here. It may be your baby's favourite bedtime story for a long time after birth.

What are Braxton Hicks contractions? (purely FMI)
Sometime towards the middle of your pregnancy (or even earlier), you may notice the muscles of your uterus (womb) tightening, for anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds. This may happen to you several times an hour, several times a day. Not all of us feel these random, usually painless contractions, which get their name from John Braxton Hicks, an English doctor who first described them in 1872. Experts have different opinions about Braxton Hicks contractions and their true purpose. Some believe that they play a part in getting your cervix ready for labour (also called "ripening"). Others believe that Braxton Hicks contractions do not lead to changes to the cervix and that ripening only occurs in pre-labour, when the first co-ordinated contractions of labour start or in labour itself. How can I tell the difference between Braxton Hicks and real labour contractions? Most women who are pregnant for the first time will ask their midwives or friends this question, and the answer is maddeningly vague: "You'll know real labour when it begins." And they're right. Labour contractions are noticeably longer as well as more regular, frequent, and painful than Braxton Hicks contractions. Also, labour pains are persistent, and will increase in frequency, duration, and intensity as time goes on, while Braxton Hicks contractions remain unpredictable and non-rhythmic.

What if the Braxton Hicks contractions become painful?
As your pregnancy progresses, these contractions may become more intense and even painful at times. When they start to become more intense and frequent, they may feel like the real thing, but the contractions will still be irregular in intensity, frequency, and duration, and can taper off and then disappear altogether. In other words, if you ever notice that your contractions are easing up in any way, they are probably Braxton Hicks. Some healthcare professionals recommend that you think of Braxton Hicks as "practice contractions" not just for your uterus but also for you to rehearse the breathing exercises you'll learn in your antenatal class.

What should I do if they're uncomfortable?
Many women notice that the contractions come more frequently when they do even light physical activity, such as carrying in shopping from the car. If you feel discomfort, it sometimes helps to lie down, or, conversely, to get up and take a walk - it's the change in activity that can help ease any pain you feel. A warm bath sometimes helps, too.

So I'm a little bit over my half term mark! yahoo! Just as the books have pre-warned, I've now disocvered this ugly dark line running down right smack in the middle of my tummy (from the bottom of my ribcage down to the top of my belly button). OMG not only that all sorts of funny veins & strech marks have all started a painting on my belly *faints*.
It's truly a sign that the little one is growing.. and boy has he grown!

He's extremely active now & always kicking me. I've noticed that he normally kicks right after I've taken a meal. At night, he's usually a very good boy & sleeps when I sleep (which is usually not the case as a baby normally sleeps during day time when you're walking and moving around as it rocks the baby and they like that..so when you're motionless, that's when they kick .. so that's what the books have told me).

However, at the start of this week, I've discovered a new revelation about my baby. He is now waking up much earlier (eg. around 6am) and will start to kick me even though I haven't scoffed down any food yet. It's as if he's giving me a wake up call. Thanks baby... The kicks are more subtle though than if I have taken food (that's when he'll kick me harder).

I've also discovered how cheeky he is. Everytime I feel him kick, I would quickly grab his daddy's hand to feel him. But cheeky baby would usually stop. After daddy let's go of his hand from my tummy, that's when he will kick again. Moreover, every time I ask his daddy to stare at my belly for his kicks (which looks like as if the tummy has gone into a spasm attack), baby Minga would stop kicking as if he knows someone is watching him. It's really an adorable sight!

The other thing that I've discovered is that usually at night just before I'm about to sleep, the little one will also kick me. However, since he can now hear, I often tell mr M to talk to him or sing him a lullaby (ie. Amazing Grace) and automatically the kicking stops. It's truly amazing..