So during his 1 week of rest (transitioning period from his resignation with Robert Walters & now his new employer ANZ bank), Mr M decided to go for his yearly medical check up as well as dentist check up. The irony was that his medical check up was 100% healthy, however it was his visit to the dentist that that's when all the drama began...
Whenever you're a new patient at Scotts Dental Clinic on Orchard, the dentist will automatically do a complete X-ray of your mouth (which is also performed at the clinic) before the dentist can begin his consultation & check up on the patient. So for Mr M, after the dentist has analysed his X-ray, he discovered Mr M had an abnormal over-build up of calcium in his glands and immediately referred him to the Oral Specialist across the road in Paragon Orchard. The dentist was also extremely surprised that in all the years of visiting the dentist regularly in Australia that they never had discovered this earlier.
So an hour later, Kelv was at the Oral Specialist. The specialist did more X-rays & confirmed the dentist was correct in his diagnosis. Kelv unfortunately was the lucky 2% of the population that has glands which for some reason over produces too much calcium in his saliva. As a result, the specialist found two small stones growing near his glands. The result of this means he would need to undergo day surgery to remove them otherwise the stones may one day get so big that he would require a permanent removal of his two main glands (which aids in saliva production).
What a drama hey?
So today, a month after his diagnosis, I took him to Mt Elizabeth Hospital in Orchard again (one of the best hospitals in Singapore & where my gynae is as well) to undergo his surgery.
We got to the hospital at 10am and before you know it, Kelv was geared up in his patient gown & wheeled out of the room at 11am. It was absolutely heart wrenching to see my beloved husband wheeled out in this hospital bed knowing that there could be a chance that things could go wrong. He was definitely more brave than I was.
The next few hours was torturing. I waited impatiently for my hubby outside the operating theatre's waiting area which mind you had no seats so everyone was standing. The doctor had said the op would not take more than 1.5hrs. So I walked up and down for time to pass by. Finally 3hrs later, the operating theatre's door opened & I saw my poor babe being wheeled out. Two nurses was wheeling him and I managed to run up to him. I could see that he was very sedated and acted like a drunkard although he was absolutely adorable. He was holding the container with two of his little stones that was removed which looked like two teeth (as a souvenir from his specialist/surgeon) and when he finally saw me, he shouted to all the nurses 'THAT'S MY WIFE!'. Not only that, there were many visitors in the hospital who had also walked past him as well. My husband continued to shout out to them while pointing to me 'THAT'S MY WIFE'. Golly gosh, I was so embarrassed although I was so relieved that he had recognised me!
We then spend the next two hours in the recovery room for Mr M to rest. He was really cute as his first words were 'I'm a fighter, I will fight for the both of you. I'm all ok, we should go home now.. '. My little boy just could not stop talking and I knew it was because of the drugs. He really talked as if he was superman and was all ready to go home straight after his operation. Boy was he kidding himself as I could tell the anaesthetic was still in his system.
In the 2nd hour of him 'attempting to rest', the nurses brought him ice milo to drink which he gave half of it to me. After he drank the other 1/4, he was nearly to his normal self. Finally at 3:15pm, it was time for him to be discharged. The nurses took out the needle in his left arm & gave him all the prescripted drugs for the rest of the week.
I then went to pay for the bill... and golly gosh, his visit to the dentist a month ago that was only supposed to cost no more than $300 ended up costing $5500 (for his day surgery alone)! To date, my dear husband has clocked up just over $9K in medical bills in less than 2mths! Not a bad attempt to utilise P&G's Health insurance hey? *Mrs M faints*
We have had a fair share of health scares ever since we got together. What amazes me the most is that through all the health scares, God has always been sovereign & merciful to the both of us. We have managed to pull through it with God as our centre time and time again.
All Praise & Glory be unto Him... Amen!


