Monday, April 14, 2008

Pregnancy: 19 weeks!

(Source: babycentre.com.au)

You're halfway there! The top of your uterus now reaches your belly button and will grow about a centimetre per week. The fetus measures around 15 centimetres long from crown to rump and weighs about 240 grams. He has started to swallow amniotic fluid, and his kidneys continue to make urine. Hair on the scalp is sprouting. Sensory development reaches its peak this week. The nerve cells serving each of the senses -- taste, smell, hearing, seeing, and touch -- are now developing in their specialised areas of the brain. Nerve cell production slows down as existing nerve cells grow larger and make more complex connections. If you're carrying a baby girl, she already has roughly six million eggs in her ovaries (wow how amazing is that!). By the time she's born, she'll have about one million.
Feeling like a Zombie:
Last night was undoubtedly the worse night of my pregnancy so far. As soon as I got to bed, I knew I would be having no sleep for the night. And guess what? I didn't even sleep at all. Not even for ten minutes!
The reason?
You never believe this, but I absolutely felt my baby growing! I could feel my uterus expanding so much so that it was nearly double the size. To top it off, the bulge in my tummy also inflated to the point it had hit my ribcage. Very very uncomfortable I tell you. The worse was the shortness of breath. I really was finding it hard to breathe. Furthemore, my lack of sleep meant that I went to the loo at least 7 times in the night! golly gosh my poor husband didn't get much sleep either thanks to my tossing and turning.
Then this morning, feeling and looking like a zombie, as I made my way to work, I really could see how big my tummy has become overnight! Even Kelv would tell too! It really was as if my baby ate all these spinach & decide to be popeye the sailor man to grow double its size almost immediately. Now, he's even more active than usual. Moves everywhere in my tummy & kicks me harder than before to the point it's no longer cute but very uncomfortable...
sigh... I can't believe at this rate, I'm only half way there?! Can someone pls fast fwd the time?! I'm ready to deliver!