Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mother's Group

In Australia, when you have delivered a baby, depending on where you live, the hospital will send a notification to your municipality and hook you up with the nearest Maternal Child & Health Centre (nearly every suburb has one). On the second week of your child's birth, the maternal child nurse will visit your home to see you and the bub. Then every month of the baby's age, you will need to go to these centres to get your baby checked (like the photos that I've posted with Zach being weighed).
The other good thing that the government arranges via MC&HC is the mother's group.

We meet every Wednesdays for two hours over 6 weeks period. Every week there will be a speaker to discuss certain issues (eg. looking after yourself, what to expect in motherhood, safety/dangers in homes etc) with the final week being a luncheon.

Today was the day that I finally got to meet all the other mothers in my neighbourhood who's baby is about the same age as Zach (+/- one month). It was such a funny start. When I got there, I realised I was probably the youngest there. Then, it was as if we were doing a Pram Show. We all sat in a circle with everyone's pram parked next to them. Every mother was checking out each other's pram. I was surprised to see that I was the only mother with Phil & Teds. Five mothers had the Beemas (by Babyco).

The biggest highlight of the day was when the clock hit about 2pm. All the babies decided to cry so all the mothers started to take their babies out of the pram one by one to breastfeed. I was very shocked to see that a lot of Zach's friends who are at least one month older than him were in fact smaller & thinner than him (b/c most were born at least 3weeks before full term). Zach looked the same size as this 3month old girl out of the 12 babies there. Anyway, so when Zach started to cry, I took him out of this pram. While every other babies were quietly sucking their mother's milk, my little one was sitting on my lap staring at me. Then he started to do his stretches while making all sorts of noises. Suddenly in the midst of silence, you hear this loud gurgling noise - He did a LONG & MASSIVE POO! After he had finished, he smiled at me oblivious to the fact that there were 12 other quiet babies. My boy really acted like he was king of the castle. I was so embarrassed although smitten by his adorableness.

I wonder how my boy will react when he sees other babies his own age.. gosh I can not wait to see his response!