Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The terrible 3

Ok, they usually say when your kid hits two years of age, they are called the terrible 2's. But can I pls suggest another quote? 'The terrible 3weeks'. As soon as Zach hit his 3rd week of life, I noticed something very very abnormal. My little boy knows how to manipulate his parents now!

During his first two weeks of life, he was such an angel. All we had to do was to put him in the cot and he would sleep. Not only that he would sleep through noise, light the lot.

Now, as soon as we put him in his cot wide awake but tired, he would cry non-stop. As soon as you pick him up from his cot, he stops crying. I guess we have no one to blame except ourselves. After all, he is our first child & our family's first grandchild. His first two weeks of life was very spoiled. We would rock, pat, caress him to sleep. His grandparents would always hold him. His daddy would always put him on his chest to sleep. So of course our bright little genius have caught this on & have really taken advantage of this.

Even writing this post has taken 3 days because it's been so hard to get some free time due to Zach's love& need for attention.

The other day, after I finished feeding him, he fell asleep on my arms. Usually I have to wait about 20minutes to ensure he's in a deep sleep before actually placing him in his cot. But that day I really needed to do something urgent so I decided to put him in his cot about 5minutes into his sleep. Of course it backfired on me. As soon as I placed him in his cot, his eyes started to open as if to say "BUSTED MUMMY... YOU CAN NOT LEAVE ME NOW!!!

I decided to leave the room anyway to see what happens next...
Of course, his crescendo cry was all I needed to hear before realising that there was no way I would be able to do anything that I had planned that day...

sigh.. when will my angel baby return?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

clever zach. he sure picked up things very fast in just 2 weeks!!!! every baby who has been cuddled, carried, patted to sleep prefer to sleep in that way (rather than being put in the cot to put himself to sleep). oh dear, vick... dunno when this will come to an end unless you re-train him. I'm always afraid of having to carry/pat/cuddle baby to sleep, cos it'll be quite a long term thing. so right from birth, i've never carried her to sleep. of course, you'll get the deafening cry. but the bub will get used to it and will settle in probably 2 weeks. but during that duration, parents have to brace themselves and not giving in to carrying them to sleep. some parents couldn't do that and giving in after 15 mins of non stop deafening cry and the baby will know that they get to be carried, all they need to do is just crying for 15 mins or so. but it's entirely up to you guys. there's no right or wrong way. if you're prepared to carry zach to sleep all the time, then it's okay. but i really didn't want to do that so i let her cried to sleep for the first 2 weeks then she learnt that there's no use of her constant cries cos i just wouldn't pick her up (except when she was sick but her first time falling sick i think when she was 6 months old if not older). so it's just personal choice really. good luck.